Resident Intern Company
Shadowland Stages, a professional Equity theater located just outside New York City in the Hudson Valley/Catskill Region, presents a seven-month season consisting of seven mainstage shows, children’s programming, and other special events.
Our Resident Intern Company works with professional staff and visiting artists to successfully mount each of our productions. An internship at Shadowland Stages provides a fully-immersive opportunity for an emerging theater artist to hone his/her skills in a challenging, but friendly environment, while gaining valuable hands-on experience and networking contacts.
Interns work in a variety of fields throughout the season, under the producing artistic director, including carpentry, costumes, electrics/sound, stage management, and general production. Interns in marketing will work, under the direction of the executive managing director, in a variety of behind-the-scenes tasks, including marketing, development, box office, company management, and general theater administration. All interns should expect to work in all areas of the theater – onstage and off – throughout the season.
Interns applying to Shadowland Stages must have the following qualifications:
- at least 18-years of age and legally able to work in the United States (candidates younger than 18 will be considered on a case-by-case basis);
- a graduate or currently enrolled student of a college or university with a major in one of the theater arts;
- willingness to commit to a 10-week program (June-August/September or August/September – October/November) on a full-time basis;
- dedication as a theater professional.
What You Can Expect
- Hours are Full-Time
- Shared Housing and a Weekly Stipend
- Schedules are Rigorous & Intensive
- EMC Credit can be arranged, as applicable.
- Commitment is 10 weeks, exact schedule to be coordinated with intern.
Shadowland Stages interns can expect to be challenged by the creative process. Because we are a small theater interns have far more hands-on involvement than might be expected elsewhere. In addition, Shadowland Stages interns enjoy working alongside industry leaders, Broadway award-winners, leading designers, directors, and administrators. You will leave with a greater understanding of what it means to work professionally in the theatre, be part of a creative team, and earn lasting friendships in the industry.
|Technical / Construction Intern
||Responsible for the construction and maintenance of sets and props used in Shadowland Stages productions and events. Works with the technical director on construction, acquisition of materials, and transportation of sets to/from the theater. Oversees the strike and installation process. Tends to any minor facility maintenance. Other duties as assigned.
|Stage Management Intern
||Under the direction and supervision of the Equity Stage Manager, intern oversees all activity on-stage and backstage during rehearsals and performances. Manages deck crew and other backstage activities. Communicates with Shadowland Stages’ staff during performances. Manages production, laundry, and light costume maintenance. Other duties as assigned.
||Responsible for work specific to marketing under the direction of the Executive Managing Director. Includes coordination and management of social media, e-newsletter, e-blasts, program creation, and work with printers, including distribution of posters with volunteers. Coordinates basic company management, including housing and transportation. Works with the Box Office Manager to oversee ticket sales, CRM maintenance, and house management responsibilities.
Interested applicants should send a letter of interest (including all your contact information), resume, head shot (for PR purposes), portfolio/samples (for marketing intern) along with the following:
- Area(s) of interest (indicate: construction/technical, stage management, or marketing);
- A list of other talents you can offer (ie: graphic design, photography, videography, writing, projection, etc.)
- A brief statement outlining your interest in the theater and your future goals in the industry. Tell us who you are, what inspires you, what you hope to achieve, and what you bring to us. Dazzle us. Dare to be different? What’s your passion? Why should we choose you?
- Letters of reference from someone familiar with your theatrical skills (teacher, professor, director, etc.).
All applications are due immediately. Candidates will be notified after applications are received. Internships will be filled based on availability.
157 Canal Street
Ellenville, NY 12428
(attach all relevant documents)
No phone inquiries, please.